Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mommy again

I remembered another thing: co-sleeping. As a kid I asked my mom why the one woman in the King Solomon story lost her baby. She explained that lots of times back then women slept with their babies and accidentally smothered them. Ever since then, sleeping with your baby has been a very bad idea to me. Too risky. But I got over that. It's not very often that I sleep with Maya, she's only once slept with both of us (and it was only for a couple hours in the morning), and her sleeping with me is usually if Ross is working a graveyard (which is rare now) or we're taking a nap together, or like when we were in Georgia and I got sick of crawling to the end of the bed to look in the crib when she started to fuss. Easier to have her there right next to me. And I am soooo careful not to have blankets and stuff near her... But the whole premise of co-sleeping is usually a bonding and security thing. I think it's bullcrap. I'm no less bonded to my child because she sleeps in a crib. And I think she'll be more secure being UN-attachment-style parented because she won't be scared of strangers, she'll know how to play on her own, and there will be no transitioning her to her own room when she's older because she's already there. The end.

3 comments:

cfrog15 said...

Amen sister! LOL! I do agree with you...while I feel I'm kinda in the middle of the whole attachment parenting thing, I'm not sure sleeping together is the best idea for all the reasons you said. Plus, I wouldn't get any sleep if I had a squirmy, sucky baby next to me all night ;o)

Ameripromo said...

I'm really careful to say stuff about co-sleeping because I know more people who do it than have their babies sleep in cribs. But I find it so incredibly unhealthy. For the marriage and for the baby. Just my opinion, though.

The Hazeletts said...

Bryce has slept in his crib from day one and he loves me just the same. In fact, he's starting to cry when I leave now. Preach it sister! I agree!